Many people have asked me how I’ve managed to loose so much weight after being heavy for so many years (41). I’m sharing my story only in hope of perhaps encouraging some of you. I am keenly aware of how I used to feel hearing about the success of others in this area & the fact that keeping it off will be the real test.
The short answer is the following 5 things.
- Gods grace & the discipline of simplicity.
- Seven hundred calories per meal X 3 = 2100 per day.
- 30 minute walk in the morning – 6 days a week target
- Check my weight at least every 3rd day.
- More fiber & fluids.
The longer version goes like this.
One part of my retirement decision was a desire just to live the rest of my life simpler & more intentional for Christ. In my case simplicity required less of a lot of things, & real discipline in choices. Also a book I read on retirement was quite helpful. It basically encouraged me to design a lifestyle for my new life intention.
I started by reviewing again what Gods intention is for us concerning food. The whole question about needs vs desires for me & others. How much is enough & how can I live in His will. This resulted in me selecting a desired weight with my doctor’s agreement.
I determined the daily calories needed to sustain the desired weight & worked at developing eating habits around that amount. Actually the 2100 target is designed so that a little less most days, will allow for some feast days too. A few tricks like eating from the senior menu when eating out also helps.
I have always failed at exercise programs in the past. What helped me this time was building the 30min walk into my daily morning routine. Also simplifying the time, time of day, place, & what I do during it. I walk with intensity but have avoided the go faster & farther temptation. It happens at a place that will work rain or shine & no dodging cars, ditches, or dead things along the way. I can focus on prayer or praise in the solitude of walking by myself.
The weight checks (which I always used to avoid) were by design to hold me accountable for my choices. I was very used to looking at performance data for work, so this helps a lot. I am always mindful that the results are from choices made. This along with focus on calories & cost provided more discipline than just self control over choices.
Fiber & fluids should speak for themselves.
So a year & a half later I’m here. It was a desire to live differently & more intentionally for Christ that changed things, & it will only be by His grace that I will be able to stay here.
I really like that you shared the details of this and how it truly was a lifestyle change and choice. Again it is making the choice daily to follow. You are honest but not super human. :0) Way to go. I have a new goal too. Just need to set them plan as part of my routine like you described. Here goes!!
ReplyDelete